BE GREEN, BE SMART, BE ESPLANADE
BE GREEN - BE SMART - BE ESPLANADE
Environmental awareness is one of the top priorities for the GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE BERLIN. In addition to the modern technical equipment of our hotel, this also means that every one of our employees feels responsible for our environment. This is why we don’t use any harsh chemicals in our housekeeping and separate the waste in our offices. We also offer our conference participants the possibility to act responsibly with regard to the environment, because we have installed a waste separation system in each of our conference rooms. Furthermore, the GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE BERLIN has teamed up with Smart electric drive from the outset and since June 2010 has been the first hotel in Germany to boast its own Smart electric drive and a public RWE charging station right in our hotel driveway. Not only does this make us the “first hotel in Germany to provide a charging station for electric drive vehicles”, but we also actively contribute to environmental protection in this manner every day.
- The ventilation systems as well as the heaters in the rooms are controlled by separate energy-saving control units for each room according to the outside temperature. The heat is supplied by heat recovery from hot water recycling. This allows us to save up to 20% in energy.
- The installation of a new air conditioning system in 2011 allows us to save an additional 10% in energy. Moreover, the coolant is absolutely compatible with the environment.
- We are reducing our power consumption in the rooms through the use of energy-saving light bulbs as well as dimmers.
- Since 2011, we have also been using 100 % ecological bed linen for our guests, which is manufactured in Germany and has no chemical additives.
- All conference rooms feature large picture windows. As a consequence, the natural light in the conference rooms significantly reduces our power consumption.
- We work with new water-saving fixtures in the sanitary facilities and pool area of the hotel.
- The use of a waste separation system (paper, cardboard, plastics, glass, organic waste) is a given in the GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE BERLIN. This gets us to a recycling rate of between 95% and 98% for all types of waste.
- To explore Berlin in an environmentally friendly manner, we offer our guests the possibility of renting our own bicycles or one of our five segways.
- Since December 2010, the Grand Hotel Esplanade Berlin is certified with the Viabono CO2 - footprint, which measures the amount of pollution caused by emissions of CO2.
- Since October 2011, the Grand Hotel Esplanade Berlin is a "Certified Green Hotel" awarded by the VDR (German Travel Management Association). With 528 of 765 possible points, the Grand Hotel Esplanade Berlin has reached the highest score in the field of 15 participating hotels throughout Germany!
- Two of our employees are official Sustainability Counsellors since September 2012. Both employees absolved a training, which is funded by the German Federal Environmental Foundation (DBU) and which provides individual and complete solutions for implementing sustainable conventions, meetings and events.
- Every year, the GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE BERLIN puts on a charity golf tournament for the benefit of organizations like the Children’s Cancer Rehabilitation Clinic Katharinenhöhe in the Black Forest or the Ronald McDonald House in Berlin.
- The GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE BERLIN supports the German Bone Marrow Donor Centre (DKMS) with donations for the regular campaigns to identify potential bone marrow donors.
- The GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE BERLIN also regularly supports the Foundation Children's Heart, the German Red Cross and the Michael Stich Foundation.
- In May of 2010, the GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE BERLIN established a “Green Team” that takes care of environmental and charity campaigns. The resulting committee with members from all hotel departments is a “living organisation” that is constantly thinking about and initiating new projects.
- The GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE BERLIN is the first hotel that became a member of the Berlin Alliance against homophobia in May 2012.
- Since November 2012, the GRAND HOTEL ESPLANADE BERLIN is a member of the first hour in the Pink Pillow Berlin Collection © by VisitBerlin.